Tuesday 28 March 2017

Madhouse recipe : Ultra Moist Mixed Fruit Cake


Dole recently sent us through some of their resealable fridge packs of fruit and, while the Madhouse kids have been loving dipping in at breakfast time or when they fancy a quick dessert, I wanted to have a go at using them in baking too. 


I used a pack of Mixed Fruit In Cherry Juice but the other varieties  (Tropical Gold pineapple chunks, peach slices and prunes) would work equally well.


The cake has a crunchy brown sugar topping and the fruit gives it a lovely moist texture - I actually preferred it the next day because the juice from the fruit soaks through the sponge making it even more moist. I adapted an American recipe so I used my measuring cups for simplicity.

Ultra Moist Mixed Fruit Cake

ingredients :

1 cup plain flour 
1tsp baking powder
1 cup sugar (I used Steevia sweetener)
1 egg
1tsp vanilla extract
1tsp cinnamon
a pinch of salt
1 pack Dole mixed fruit (with juice)
1/2 cup Demerera sugar (to sprinkle over the top)


This is a simple throw-it-all-in recipe so just put all the ingredients except the demerera sugar into a bowl and beat until combined.


Pour into a greased tin and sprinkle with demerera sugar.


Bake at 180° for 40-50 minutes until firm and a sharp knife inserted into the middle comes out clean.


Leave to cool and cut into squares while still in the tin.

Disclosure : I received some packs of Dole fruit to experiment with.

3 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...