Thursday 21 August 2014

My Apple Tart of Hope #readcookeat challenge


Some books just make the #readcookeat challenge incredibly easy and my latest read, Sarah Moore Fitzgerald's The Apple Tart of Hope was one such book. You can read my review here, and you can also read my review of her first book, Back To Blackbrick (which also inspired a recipe - Smoked Salmon Pâté - for the #readcookeat challenge).

I decided to make a super-duper apple tart that Oscar would be proud of. It started off based on a classic French tarte aux pommes, then I added my own twist, making the filling from my baked apples into a gooey topping.

My Apple Tart of Hope


ingredients :

1 pack of ready-made puff pastry
2 pouches apple purée
2 apples, cored and very finely sliced
3tbs salted butter
4tbsp caster sugar
a handful of walnuts
2 handfuls of raisins
1tbsp vanilla paste
1tbsp cinnamon
1tsp allspice


Roll out the pastry (Oscar would make his own but I was short on time !) on a baking sheet. Squeeze out the apple purée and spread over the pastry.


Lay the apple slices around the edges then work towards the middle.


In a small saucepan, heat the butter and sugar, stirring constantly, until they melt and start to caramelise. Reduce the heat and add the vanilla and spices, then the raisins and nuts. Keep stirring until it reduces and gets nice and sticky.



Drizzle the caramel mixture over the apples.


Bake in a preheated oven at 180° for 20 minutes until the apples are soft but still slightly firm. Leave to cool before eating - it can be eaten warm with a scoop of ice cream or cold.


Fancy "cooking the books"? Head on over to the #readcookeat challenge at Chez Maximka and Cooking Around The World




Other blogposts you may be interested in :

#readcookeat challenge : Greek cuisine (inspired by When The Cypress Whispers)


1 comment:

  1. Oh, I want a slice! Love apple tarts, and your version is super duper! Thank you for supporting our ReadCookEat.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...