Saturday 15 February 2014

Lorraine Pascale recipe : Bite-Sized Pinwheel Snacks


You may remember me telling you a couple of weeks ago that I'd received a funny #ResolutionRescue video from Tropicana Juices on twitter to keep my New Year's resolutions on track and they also told me I'd won a healthy eating cookery book. When it arrived, I was delighted to see that it is Lorraine Pascale's A Lighter Way To Bake - it sounds right up my street.



The first recipe that I decided to try from it are these teeny-tiny two-tone biscuits which are great fun to make, as well as being rather tasty.

Bite-Sized Pinwheel Snacks



ingredients :

75g butter, softened
35g caster sugar
pinch of salt
1tsp vanilla extract
100g plain flour

after splitting mixture :
10g cocoa powder
10g plain flour


I told you about the Golden Granulated and Dark Muscovado sugars that I tried out in my Golden Syrup Oat Biscuits with Smarties earlier in the week. Well, this time, I decided to experiment with the Golden Syrup Sugar. This one is British-inspired and promises "a rich, bold and distinctive flavour with a luscious, lingering sweetness".


After creaming the butter and sugar together and mixing in the vanilla paste, I had to check I'd measured out the ingredients correctly because it looked like a tiny amount ! These are designed to be small though so it was right.


Mix in the flour to create a soft dough.


Split the mixture in two and add 10g cocoa powder to one half and 10g flour to the other. Wrap the dough balls in clingfilm and put in the fridge for 30 minutes to an hour to firm up. (I put them in the freezer compartment of the fridge for 15 minutes.)


Roll out the two balls with a floured rolling pin on sheets of baking parchment - it's very sticky dough so this makes it easier to handle. Pick up one piece of pastry on the parchment and place on top the other, then peel off the paper.


Using the baking parchment to help you, roll it up like a Swiss roll. Wrap it up in the parchment and pop back in the fridge for another 30-60 minutes to firm up again.


Slice into 1cm wide pieces on the baking parchment, place it on a baking tray and bake in a preheated oven at 180°C for 15-20 minutes until slightly coloured and just firm to the touch.


They're very cute and very small so you can eat a couple and feel totally guilt-free even if you're on a diet !


Linking up with Simply Sensational Food for Let's cook sweet treats for Valentine

Other blogposts you may be interested in :

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...