Saturday 12 May 2012

My WeightWatchers Supper Club Facebook App Dish #3: Oven Baked Scotch Eggs


As I told you a couple of weeks ago, I've been having great fun trying out some of the recipes on the Weight Watchers Supper Club facebook app. After showing you our version of Dips & Dunks (here) and Chicken Tagine with Apricots and Almonds (here), I wanted to try their healthy take on a dish that I haven't made for years - Scotch Eggs !

 The recipe  and the official photo is below. Scroll down to the end for our version and verdict !

**********************************************


Oven Baked Scotch Eggs

Try making the traditional Scotch egg yourself - here they are oven-baked, rather than fried.
 
ProPoints® Values: 8
Servings: 4
Preparation Time: 25 min
Cooking Time: 40 min

Ingredients

4 medium Egg, Whole, British Lion
300 g Pork Sausagemeat
1 tablespoons Parsley, fresh, chopped
2 teaspoons Mixed Herbs, Dried
1 individual Egg White, lightly beaten
1 pinch Salt
1/4 teaspoons (ground) Pepper, Black (Whole, Cracked or Ground)
50 g Breadcrumbs, Dried, natural

Instructions

1. Hard-boil the eggs for 12 minutes. Drain, cool in cold water, then shell them.

2. Mix together the sausagemeat, parsley, mixed herbs and egg white. Season with salt and pepper. Divide this mixture into 4 equal portions, then use your hands to pat each portion into a flat disc. Place an egg on top of each disc, then press the mixture around the eggs to cover them completely. Roll the eggs in dried breadcrumbs to coat the surface. Chill for at least 10 minutes.

3. Preheat oven to Gas Mark 5/190C/fan oven 170C/325F. Put the eggs on a baking sheet and bake for 25-30 minutes, until golden brown. Cool, then serve

********************************


When I left home to go to uni, I bought myself a recipe book called "How To Boil An Egg". Judging by the way my hard boiled eggs came out, I need to read it again ! One came out concave and for two of them, the shell totally stuck to the skin and started breaking them when I shelled them. Oh well, the sausagemeat will hide a multitude of sins !


I split the sausagemeat into five equal parts, flattened it out a bit and placed an egg on top.


Pierre was intrigued by what Mummy was doing in the kitchen so he came to watch and get involved. He loved playing hide and seek with the egg ("Can you still see him ? Where's he peeking out ? Let's cover him up !")


The recipe calls for bread crumbs but I decided to give mine an oaty coating with some porridge oats.


I was actually really pleased with the way they came out. It wasn't until I looked at this photo that I realised you could make a brilliant plate face, using them as eyes or even butterfly wings.


The kids loved them though so didn't need any encouragement to eat them anyway ! I haven't eat home made Scotch Eggs for absolutely donkey's years but these ones tasted as good as the ones in my memory, despite being oven baked instead of fried.

Disclosure : I have been given a year's membership to Weight Watchers Online and receive monthly hampers of products to review. 

Other blogposts you may be interested in :

6 comments:

  1. Brilliant looking eggs! My son absolutely adores those!

    ReplyDelete
  2. these look lovely. Never tried making them before!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look great. Will have to try making my own scotch eggs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will be using this recipe now that I know the secrets to making a oven baked scotch egg. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Being a veggie I wouldn't eat these myself, but my daughter would love them. She's mad about Scotch eggs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. mmm these look good - definitely on my "to do" list!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...