Sunday 27 February 2011

Look at my Sandwich Bread from Great British Food Revival !


As you may have seen in yesterday's blogpost (here), the girls (and their friends) had great fun cooking scones this week, but they weren't the only ones getting experimental in the kitchen. I decided to try my hand at making bread. Real bread by hand, not just in the bread machine. I decided to try out the recipe for a Sandwich Bread Loaf that had caught my eye in the latest cookery book I reviewed, Great British Food Revival (a review you can read here).This recipe is in the first chapter of the book, full of recipes based around bread, and is by Michel Roux Jr.


There's something really satisfying about warming milk and adding yeast, mixing in the flour by hand, leaving it to rise, forming it into loaf shapes and watching it turn into a crusty golden loaf in the oven.


You can tell it doesn't come from a supermarket shelf, but in my eyes, that just makes it even better. The whole kitchen smelt of a French bakery, much more so than when I use the bread machine. Definitely a recipe that we'll be trying again.

You can find the recipe in the book or by watching the TV series that will soon be on your screens (see here for details).

Other reviews you may be interested in :

8 comments:

  1. I made some bread yesterday, I love the smelling of bread. I will have a look out for this book. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Bread looks amazing! Well done, have always wanted to give bread making a try, maybe I will now :) (Twitter)@Tweetnise

    ReplyDelete
  3. i want to try baking bread with little ones these came out great i havent done it since school but its worth a shot : ) well done

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was amazed at how easy it was, and so much more satisfying than using the bread machine ! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Doing your bread is so much more satifying and fun. You can taste so much more as well!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Would love a copy of that book as I'd love to make bread by hand. @maisietoo

    ReplyDelete
  7. There is nothing better than the smell of freshly baked bread in the house!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...